Saturday, June 7, 2008

We Sing of Idaho

The following information comes from the 1963 album We Sing of Idaho produced as a part of the Idaho Centennial. Recently I purchased one of these old albums and on the front it states "Booklet with background notes and fascinating historical information will be found inside the record jacket." Fortunately the booklet was still with this one and scans of the four pages are below.

Gary Eller has gotten me off on this historical music binge although I have always enjoyed the folk ballads of Pete Seeger, The Weavers, Woody Guthrie and later Arlo Guthrie, Peter, Paul & Mary and the likes of Utah Phillips who just recently passed away. See more about Utah at http://www.utahphillips.org/. I was especially interested in the rendition of The Song of Harry Orchard that I could compare with one done my old Utah and the more recent version by John Larsen. The booklet provides information about each song and mentions Orchard, Governor Steunenberg and the Haywood trial (4th page below).



No comments: