Saturday, May 28, 2011

Boise & Interurban Baseball Team

Written along the bottom: Boise & Interurban Team - Twilight League 1909 - Mason Foto (I think). Unused with no writing on the back.

Every now and then something comes along that lets me return to my baseball card collecting days but with an Idaho connection. Here is a real photo postcard of the Boise & Interurban baseball team. You have read about the Interurban elsewhere on this blog before.

We know Boise, Caldwell and other Idaho towns had baseball teams but I don't know much about the B & I team or twilight league. I am hoping someone can shed some light on this team, who and where they played, etc. Recognize any of these players?

Of course, we know about Walter Johnson from over with the Weiser Kids. Walter was the biggest name in baseball to come out of Idaho. "The Weiser Wonder." Pictured on this link is a card I wish I had but no such luck.

I notice there are only nine guys on the team so I guess in those days you played all the way and fetched your own bats, balls and water.

2 comments:

Tara A. Rowe said...

Harmon Killebrew being a close second to Walter Johnson. Equally talented fellows. Pocatello had some great baseball teams back in the day. Some great photos of those teams reside in the Idaho State University Department of Special Collections. There are actually a few in the Bannock County Images database on the library's website:
http://www.isu.edu/library/special/bannockci.htm

tyfoff said...

I don't know if you will see this comment on such an old post, but I'm wondering if you ever found out about the Twilight league in Pocatello. My dad always told me that my great-grandpa played minor-league baseball, but the only information I can find is this copy of the Idaho State Journal from Pocatello where it talks about my great-grandpa, Henry Barrett (see link https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/25695847/ ). It mentions in passing that he played Twilight league baseball, but I can't seem to find any information about this league. Your post came up during my search, so I figured I might as well try and see if you ever learned any more about it.

Thanks,

Tyler